Welcome! If you’re reading this, you’re interested in being considered to join and be interviewed for the Young Travelers Network blog interview series.
To participate you must:
- Be younger than 26 years old. Hard rule (for now).
- Join the Young Traveler’s Network Facebook Group and become part of a group of more than 600+ Gen Z travelers.
- Submit a qualifying title + pitch of at least 50 words.
- Submit at least 6 high-quality photos at least 1200px in width, for the blog post.
- Be willing to share your interview on your personal social media once it’s posted! Meaning Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.
The following is a list of topics that are already taken.
If the topic you’re suggesting sounds like any of the ones below, it needs to have a completely different angle or it may be rejected for being too similar.
- × I’m 23, and I am a Digital Nomad: Here’s How I Did it
- × Traveling as a Full-Time College Student: My Story, and Advice
- × Young and Working Abroad (Too broad of a topic)
- × “Solo Travel” (Too broad of a topic)
- × POC/Minority Traveler
- × I’m Afraid of Flying, and I’m an Avid Traveler
- × How Working in a Slum in India at 20 Years Old Changed My Life
- × I’m 21, and I Travel the World with My Boyfriend
- × Traveling with Anxiety
- × Getting Injured While Abroad
- × Young, Curvy, and Abroad: My Plus-Sized Adventure
- × How I Vacation as an Adventurous Vegetarian
- × Traveling with a Third-World Passport
- × Loneliness While Traveling
- × Young and Moving to Morocco
- × I Won and Lost My Study Abroad Scholarship… But I Went Anyway!
- × Child of Wanderlust: 16 and Traveling America with My Family
- × I’m 21, and I Travel the World With My Boyfriend
Above all the story you want to share should be unique and inspiring.
Answer these questions to yourself when choosing a topic:
Is this inspiring? Is this a story that only I can tell?
Was this relevant enough in my life for me to answer questions in-depth about it?
For examples of some available topics, consider:
- √ A personal adventure you’ve had that had a lasting impact
- √ What Its Like Growing Up in [Insert Location]
- √ An inspiring person/people you’ve met abroad and their effect on your life
- √ I Gained A New Perspective on my Country/Culture After Traveling
- √ A mistake you’ve made while traveling that you’ve learned from
- √ How Being Young Effects How I’m Treated When I Travel
- √ Why I Love Traveling with my Sister/Pet/Parents/Best-Friend
- √ How Traveling Taught Me to Value my College Experience
- √ Why I Don’t Regret Skipping College to Travel
- √ How My Love for Travel Led to My Career as a ____________
- √ How Studying Arabic in Lebanon Led to Me Becoming a World Banker
- √ How Being 6’8″ Changes How I See The World—Literally (Traveling While Tall)
- √ If you have a unique topic not listed, pitch it!
Notice that all of these topics are in-depth and very specific to an individual. I suggest looking through old YTN interviews and see how they were so your pitch can be accepted on the first shot!
ex. Instead of “Teaching English Abroad” ⇒ “How Teaching English Abroad Led to My Appreciation of Korean Culture”
ex. Instead of “Working and Traveling” ⇒ “How Starting My Business Led to Me Being More of an Extroverted Traveler”
What goes into an interview?
Your interview of 600 – 1200 words, your personal photos, and three social media links.
Intro [1 sentence]:
- Hello! My name is __________, I am ___ years-old and currently live in/am from _________.
Body [3-5 sentences]:
- The meat of your pitch. What travel topic are you interested in talking about? Why? What are your top 3 talking points?
Conclusion [1 sentence]:
- What do you want the take away to be? What lesson should the reader learn from your story?
How Do I Apply?
- Request to join the Young Travelers Network Facebook Page for exclusive travel opportunities, travel deals, and a tight-knit community of like-minded Gen Z/Millennial travelers.
- Send an email with your Name, Age, and a pitch title in the email subject line. Email subject line should be “YTN – [Concise Title Pitch + Your Name + Age]”.
And a pitch summary formatted as outlined above.
- Submissions can be sent to gabby[at]packslight[dot]com.
Follow my social media as well to see and share your interview when it goes live!