German Bundestag, U.S. Department of State
Fully-funded fellowship for German and American young professionals to live, study, and intern in each other's country
Who: 18½–24, US or German citizens, High school graduates
Deadline: November 1, 2021
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX) is a fellowship funded by the German Bundestag and U.S. Department of State, that annually provides 75 American and 75 German young professionals the opportunity to spend one year in each other’s countries, studying, interning, and living with hosts on a cultural immersion program.
For Americans, the program consists of three phases:
- Two months of intensive German language training
- One semester of classes in one’s academic or career field at a university, technical or professional school
- Three to five month internship in one’s career field
CBYX is open to candidates in all career fields who are interested in a year of academic, professional, and cultural exchange.
This fully-funded fellowship opportunity annually covers basic living costs for all 150 participants (75 Americans + 75 Germans), including:
- Round-trip international airfare from Washington, D.C. to Germany
- Language school costs for two months of intensive German language study
- Tuition costs for four months of study
- Housing costs for host family, apartment, or dormitory during the pre-internship phases
- Note: program funding during the internship depends on earnings
- Monthly stipend to cover basic costs of living
- Program-related travel within Germany
- Health insurance in Germany
While this post denotes the American experience in Germany, an equivalent experience is provided for Germans coming to the US, including full funding and the opportunity to study and intern. Visit the website for more information.